Saturday, January 21, 2012

How do I love you? Let me count the ways.

In honor of Valentine's Day and all things amor, I thought I would share with you a list of things that I love about Mexico...

1. I'm sitting outside, in flip flops enjoying a gentle breeze and sun in JANUARY. New Jersey right now? Covered in snow.
2. Anything (fashion wise), turquoise nails, huge hair clips, multicolored cropped hair...that I think is too much, over the top or tacky is always met with 'Que guapa!' by my Mexican friends.
3. The close to the Equator sun.
4. People in my neighborhood look me in the eye, smile and greet me when I walk by.
5. One word...TACOS.
6. Family is super important. When I ask my 6th graders about weekend plans, they always seem to include family time. And my kids aren't embarrassed by this! (One drawback in this family-centric country, for me? My own family isn't here.)
7. Greetings include a side kiss. When you enter a room, Mexican culture says you kiss/greet all present. Ditto when you leave a room. The U.S. 'Okay, bye!' said from the door? The definition of rude.
8. Men carry their lady's bag for them. Even if it's a Hello Kitty backpack.
9. Boys are raised to be gentlemen. They let you go first, hold the door for you, carry heavy stuff for you, and are more than willing to help you.
10. Girls are raised to look for boys who are gentlemen. And accept the help offered them.
11. Mexican food is simple, with lots of fresh ingredients, but almost impossible to replicate.
12. People really do ride in the back of pickup trucks!
13. I have a market down the street that sells everything from fruit, vegetables, yogurt, cheese, chickens, flowers, hot meals, fruit smoothies (liquados) to bras and high heels.
14. Sitting in the glorietta (city or neighborhood center) and eating a paleta (ice pop) is perfectly normal evening entertainment. Add tacos? A night on the town!
15. Ice cream = year round treat.
16. You can visit the doctor for $3.00. No appointment needed. Prescriptions filled immediately afterwards, usually for less than $20.00.
17. Flip flops = year round shoe choice.
18. The student/teacher relationship is much more relaxed than in the U.S. I often forget I'm talking to students and feel like I'm with friends. Who I can give detentions to.
19. Comida. The 3 o'clock meal that is perfect for enjoying at a cafe with a friend after work. It also beats waiting until seven to eat dinner, like I used to.
20. Fruit stands that are on the corner and offer plastic containers of fresh watermelon, pina, cucumber, melon, jicama...all available with a squirt of limon, a sprinkle of chile and always under a $1.
21. Taxis are cheap, and usually easy to get. The only tradeoff is answering the taxista's questions about your nationality, job and relationship status.
22. ADORABLE children. Dora the Explorer does exist, and goes to Lincoln School!
23. Lush gardens, trees, flowers, all year.
24. Coke has real cane sugar. There is nothing like it.
25. Pan dulce. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
26. Everything is slower, or on 'Mexican time'. No one arrives to anything early, let alone on time. I'm perpetually 15 minutes late after three years of Mexican time.
27. Spicy food! Most things have chile added in, including Cheetos, Dorritos, lollipops, random candy, anything with mango, sandwiches, salads. I'm converted!
28. Cowboy boots.
29. Spanish. I have a love/hate relationship most days, but I am blown away by how much I can understand and interact with. I still think it's one of the most lovely languages out there.
30. Valentine's Day isn't a day of mushy love stuff here. It's more a dia de amistad (day of friendship), which is much better than singleness awareness day.


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for 22, 28, and 30!! I have to say many of these exist in CA, so I wasn't as sad as I expected to be reading this... Write again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete